The paper needs to be minimum 6000 words, about a famous architect, Frank Gehry. The paper should not cover everything that the architect ever did, but should instead focus aspects of their work and/or philosophy that interests you. This is the only assignment for the class that requires writing, so you don’t have to worry about matching my style. The content needs to come from at least 8 sources, including books, videos, interviews, documentaries and academically recognized scholarly web sources in order to develop your own “thesis” that will clearly articulate an organized set of ideas about the architect.
Tip for Getting Started:
Architecture is far more interesting than buildings. Consider literature, stylistic movements, architectural philosophy and its impacts on world events, architectural education, etc…. You can also zero in on one specific detail of an architect’s life, era, or work that interests you and expand upon it. Find a topic involving the architect that is important to you and develop a guiding research question. While you can discuss major accomplishments and/or influences of this architect, you don’t need to limit yourself to buildings.
For example: If you like gardens, then research the gardens in and around the buildings; write Another example: If your architect designed furniture, your whole paper can be about his/her furniture design; write about the history of furniture design and how this architect fit into it.
Detailed Requirements (Important)
- 6,000(minimum) word count – this DOES NOT include footnotes, captions, and bibliography
- Entire paper must follow Chicago Manual of Style 16th edition formatting
- Use Arial font, 12 point, double-spaced, with all margins set to one inch (1”) .
- Use Chicago Style 16th ed. footnotes and a bibliography.
- More information on Chicago Style 16 can be accessed at The Chicago Style Manual through the Purdue OWL and at Fairfield University. Please see “Chicago Style 16 Sample Paper Actions” as an example of what a completed paper should look like in Chicago Style 16 ed.
Required Sources (eight minimum)
- You are required to use at least eight (8) sources total for the 6,000 word paper.
- Information for this paper should come from a variety of scholarly sources. You are encouraged to use books, videos, interviews, documentaries and academically recognized scholarly web sources in order to develop your own “thesis” that will clearly articulate an organized set of ideas about the architect you have chosen.
- Web page sources may be used, but online journals and publications are preferable.
- Do Not use Wikipedia (or and Wiki or encyclopedia sites) as a source as it is unverifiable and can be edited at any time.
- Please include a Bibliography of your sources.
- Note that the Bibliography format is slightly different from the footnote format, as it is alphabetized by the last name and left justified.