For this writing assignment, select a scholarly article on a subject that interests you. Write an essay, of approximately 450 – 500 words.
Summary and Rhetorical Analysis
Assignment: For this writing assignment, select a scholarly article from the Hunt Library on a subject that interests you.
Write an essay, of approximately 450 – 500 words, in which you:
Identify the elements of the rhetorical situation – introduction (1st paragraph of essay)
- Article title and author(s) – provide the link to the article
- Topic – the subject
- Audience – the readers (both primary and secondary audience)
- Purpose – the reason for writing (informative or persuasive)
- Thesis statement – a claim about the overall effectiveness of the text
Summarize the article – body (2nd paragraph of essay)
- Summary – the thesis and major supporting points
- Objective tone – do not insert your own opinion or evaluation
Select 3-4 rhetorical strategies from the text – body (3rd and 4th paragraphs of essay)
- Form (organization and format)
- Style (sentence design, word choice, and use of figurative language)
- Types of evidence/support (facts, quotes, statistics, case studies, etc.)
- Appeal to logos (logic)
- Appeal to ethos (credibility)
- Appeal to pathos (emotions)
Analyze those strategies
- Identify each of the selected strategies.
- Give an example from the text for each selected strategy.
Evaluate the effectiveness of these strategies – conclusion (5th paragraph)