- Apply the nursing process to Quality Improvement by selecting a clinical problem and discussing how a model of improvement can be applied to the patient problem.
- Demonstrate awareness of safety and quality projects focused on minimizing harm through system effectiveness.
- Discuss how communication occurs within an organization.
- Identify a situation in your clinical experience where you identified a problem in which you feel change is indicated. This change could theoretically involve or require the formation of a new policy and/ or procedure, or, the enforcement of current policy and/or procedure. Describe the situation and the actual and potential outcomes.
- Discuss this situation/problem with your clinical instructor and obtain prior approval to proceed with your project.
- Implement an analysis to identify the potential cause of the issue.
- Use the Plan-Do-Study-Act method to describe how to effectively implement the change needed to prevent the situation from re-occurring.
Requirements and Grading
Evaluation of your project will be completed utilizing the following criteria.
- Describe the situation/outcomes and the quality indicators you will be addressing. You may use one or more of the Patient Quality Indicators described by the ANA or QSEN:
- Mix of RNs, LPNs, and Unlicensed Staff Caring for Patients in Acute Care Settings
- Total Nursing Care Hours Provided per Patient Day
- Pressure Ulcers
- Patient Falls
- Patient Satisfaction with Pain Management
- Patient Satisfaction with Educational Information
- Patient Satisfaction with Overall Care
- Patient Satisfaction with Nursing Care
- Nosocomial Infection Rate
- Nurse Staff Satisfaction
- Perform a literature search to provide evidence-based practice data to support the proposed change needed.
- Describe how you would use the Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) described in your text to implement this change if you were going to implement your plan.
- Develop a detailed plan that will allow you to implement this change with minimal resistance. Include how this change should affect client outcomes.
- Describe the flow of communication that you feel would be necessary to successfully implement this change.
Students should use the following QI Paper Template for their written assignment.
- Use APA format and cite sources, as necessary. If you need a refresher on APA, reference the APA Learning Unit.
- Use Times Roman—12-point font.
- Use double spacing with a 1-inch margin.
- Use a minimum of 3 relevant nursing journals articles from within 5 years.
- Use professional language.
- The paper must include:
- Cover Page with Title
- Introduction/Problem you are Addressing
- Content of Assignment
- Desired Outcome
- Reference Page