Deductive Reasoning/Aphorism paper
Write a deductive argument within the following parameters:
1. Topic: Application of an aphorism, or wise saying, to life.
a. Explain the aphorism.
b. Define its terms.
c. Illustrate it.
d. Choose to agree, disagree, or both.
3. Form: Exposition and argument—explain, justify, and persuade through logic, reasoning, and example.
4. Length: 500-word minimum
5. Subject: Choose an aphorism from the list below or from the list linked in the assignment.
a. “The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.” (Albert Einstein)
b. “Eight percent of success is showing up.” (Woody Allen)
c. “I would rather regret the things I have done than regret the things I haven’t done.” (Lucille Ball)
d. “Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” (Steve Jobs)
e. “Excellence is the best deterrent to racism or sexism.” (Oprah Winfrey)
NOTE: you may use one of the aphorisms provided in the list above or one from the alternative aphorism list in the paper instructions. If you use an aphorism not listed in these two locations, you must first get it approved!
· State the aphorism and the source
· Include any background information about the author that you feel is relevant to understanding the quote
· Explain the aphorism by stating what it means to you
· Define terms in the aphorism that you feel may be ambiguous or vague (All aphorisms have some.)
· Illustrate the aphorism by describing how you have experienced it in your own life
· Agree, disagree, or both and state why
The minimum length of 500 words is required. Check the due date on the Weekly Assignments Schedule.
Below is a breakdown of the scoring for Deductive Reasoning/Aphorism paper:
A deductive argument should have the following parameters: _____ 1. State Aphorism. (5 points) _____ 2. Explanation of Aphorism. (20 points) _____ 3. Define terms. (20 points) _____ 4. Illustrate Aphorism. (20 points) _____ 5. Agree, disagree or both and explain why. (15 points) _____ 6. Minimum length: 500 word. (10 points) _____ 7. No distracting errors of punctuation, spelling, or sentence structure. (10 points)
The post Explain the aphorism by stating what it means to you first appeared on Assignment writing service.