In order to answer the question, follow the steps below.
1. Select a company that can support your core argument (i.e. for sustainable growth, should a company focus on its core business only or should it try to diversify?)
2. In Introduction, you should state your core idea and a business example you are going to use.
3. Identify the company’s offerings and conduct the Portfolio Analysis
4. Based on the Portfolio Analysis you conducted, evaluate key future directions for strategic growth (you may want to use the Ansoff’s product/market matrix)
5. Suggest what methods the SBU can adapt in order to grow (i.e. External growth or Internal development)
6. Conclude the argument with the answer to the question and if necessary, with final suggestion of what the company should do in order to achieve long-term sustainability of the business
The aim of this assignment is to construct your argument in order to answer the question, not just to describe what the company does. You do not have to follow the structure strictly suggested as above, but it should be constructed logically with consistency. Introduction should clearly state the main theme and overall structure of the report. Conclusion should draw the analysis to a close and present your answer to the question. Remember you do not introduce new findings into the conclusion – this should have been all introduced and fully discussed in the main body.
The following topics may be useful for your analysis:
• Portfolio analysis
• Strategic change and directions
• Strategic options for growth (diversification, internal growth)
The coursework is an individual piece of work. It will be 3,000 words, inclusive of appendices (+/- 10%). Please note that text in diagrams or tables will count towards the word count.
It is important that attention be focused on a strategic appraisal of the company as opposed to providing lots of interesting facts over what interests you or what you find on the internet. Assessment will focus on students’ abilities in applying strategic models and frameworks in a coherent manner that enables them to develop a clear strategic view of the strategic position being studied.
Please remember that an assignment is not meant to describe what you have found. Analysis means commenting on your findings and explaining what the evidence suggests about the company.
Write in an appropriate academic style. Make sure your final work is all spell-checked and proof-read.