1.) Read the Creation Stories.
2.) Next, access the Mohawk teachings of Mr. Tom Porter. Be sure to read to ALL EIGHT parts of the teachings in order through to the end of the Morning Prayer including the main website Introduction. Once you have listened to ALL of the parts, answer the following questions in essay format following the guidelines for written assignments found on the syllabus.
You may want to spend some time reflecting on the teachings of Mr. Porter before beginning the writing assignment as well as give each section a heading as you write so you know you answered all the questions.
1. What categories would you use to sort, compare, and contrast ideas in the creation stories we have read and heard?
2. What are some of the most obvious similarities between these stories? The differences?
3. What does this tell you, or what do you take away from these stories? What did you learn in each section? Be descriptive and use detail in your discussion.
4. What are some of the tribal cultural values or beliefs that are transmitted or shared in these stories? (This may take some reflection on your part. You may also need to listen to the teachings more than once.)
5. What was your own personal reaction to listening to Mr. Porter’s oral teachings and reading the creation stories? In other words, what were you thinking and feeling?
6. Compare and contrast the oral (Tom Porter) and written version of the stories. Which do you find more compelling? What is the value of the oral teaching versus the written?