Critical thinking papers are meant to bring students to a place where they can research a given topic, find expert advice on the different sides of the issue (usually two sides, but not always), report that expert advice, then finally provide their own opinion.
Again, here is the basic process for critical thinking papers:
– Critical thinking papers are meant to present the student with topics that are essential to understand the use of Information systems, and its possible impact on our society, both at the individual level and general level. I do not expect students to find everything about the subject but show the seriousness of their research.
– Research what experts say. By experts, I mean people who have credibility in the field they are talking about. They will not provide opinions but facts. Cite them.
– If your source provides opinions, chance are that they are not good sources for you. You may want to go check their own sources instead. I want students to provide their own opinion based on facts, not based on another person’s opinion.
– Research multiple sources for information to make sure you cover as much of the topic as possible and do not focus on a limited aspect. Use multiple sources/citations.
– Once that research has been done, share it with your reader, explaining what the ‘landscape’ is regarding the issue.
– Finally, explain to your reader what your take is on the issue, and why.
Please note that the opinion students will have on a critical thinking question could be, will not impact the grade. What will impact the grade is the quality of the research, the depth of coverage on the subject, and how well the argument is made by the author in the paper (support).
Now, as to my expectations for this paper:
As far as information systems are concerned, how would you answer the question “Are you being tracked?”.
I’ll give you a hint, the answer to this question is a resounding “Yes”. Now, please try to find as many ways as possible where tracking could be taking place where technology is involved. Provide explanations of why that tracking is being done.
My expectations for this paper:
– A minimum of 500+ words.
– Use ms Word (365, office 2016, it doesn’t matter here)
– Use general MLA format. I will not be a strictler as to perfect MLA format, but students must be able ot present their paper respecting fonts, spacing, margins, and relatively proper citations in text and at the end in the works cited section.
– Wikipedia is not an acceptable source. On the other hand, the sources used by wikipedia may interest you. In general, always go back to the source.
( MLA format basics: double spaced, 12 points Times New Roman, Calibri or Segoe fonts only. 1″ margins.student name, assignment name, date, teacher name, class reference… )
– A minimum of 2 sources, cited in text.
Also do your best to proofread your work and remove spelling or grammatical errors