· STEP 1: Review the Dorothy’s Child case study and use this as the basis for your report. [NOTE: you are encouraged to change a few of the social identity elements of the family if you choose.}
· It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED you use the Dorothy’s Child case study for this assignment. However, you may choose another written case example, but you must check with the instructor before you make a change.
· STEP 2: Select a specific point in time in the narrative of the family’s history to use as the presenting problem/issue.
· NOTE: As with any case study, there are several moments that might serve as the ‘family in therapy’ time, but it is important that you narrow down and select on as your focus.
· DO NOT use information from the narrative AFTER the point in time that you choose.
· STEP 3: Choose one approach from Group A and one approach from Group B and compare/contrast/critique how these two approaches would address the presenting problem/issue you have selected.
Experiential Family Therapy
Family Systems Therapy (Bowen)
Solution Focused Family Therapy
Structural Family Therapy (Minuchin)
Narrative Family Therapy
Your Report should be between 15 and 20 typed pages (not including title page and references). Please use the following organizational structure:
· Introduction and Case Summary (10 points)
· Provide a brief summary of the family (eg. Dorthy’s Child), its history and current situation (current meaning the point in time you are seeing the family in your clinic).
· Also describe the social identity elements that will affect your analysis. (hint: Use the assessment in Jordan and Franklin for this section)
· In your case summary make a specific comment when you are using ideas or insights from theory A and when you are using ideas or insights from theory B.
· Literature Review on the family problems and issues (20 points)
· Identify the primary issue(s) and conduct a literature search to gain an understanding of the issue confronting this family
· search for peer-reviewed literature related to issues specific to this family’s cultural group. (For example, this case study is about an African American family, so do a search for peer-reviewed literature about general issues faced by the African American family)
· also search for peer-reviewed literature about the primary issue you have identified as the presenting problem.
· Summarize/synthesize the relevant peer-reviewed literature you have located
· Theory/Model comparison (20 points)
· Using the case summary, the identified presenting problem/issue and the information discovered through the review of the current literature, compare and critique the two theories you have selected as they relate to Dorothy’s family.
· Consider how each of the two theories:
· describes the presenting problem,
· understands the origins of the presenting problem
· explains how the presenting problem is maintained
· would suggest how one would work with the family.
· Provide a CLEAR and THOUGHTFUL comparison of these two models.
· Theory/Model application (20 points)
· From the two theories that you selected, identify the one model or theory that, in your opinion, best fits with this family. Justify your choice, briefly reviewing some of the basic elements of this theory/model as it applies to your family.
· Present a problem definition consonant with your theory/model,
· discuss the role of the therapist (ie. expert, coach or collaborator) and your assessment of the family dynamics, and member roles.
· Following the theory and therapy themes in G & G, ch. 17 (pp 468-488), address:
· Time Frame
· Best for what family issues or dynamics
· Role of Therapist
· Assessment Process
· Change goals
· Be sure to present at least two change goals and a rationale for each goal and relate that rationale to your theory/model.
· Evaluation of treatment outcomes (20 points)
· Present at least two methods or measures you intend to use to follow and evaluate the course of therapy.
· You can use both formative and summative evaluation methods; however, at least one must be summative.
· References & Style
· Make SURE you use proper APA style)(5 points)
· and write with clarity using proper grammar, and spelling (5 points)
The post · Identify the primary issue(s) and conduct a literature search to gain an understanding of the issue confronting this family first appeared on Assignment writing service.